Preparing for a Winter Storm
The dreaded time of year for most is coming. The most extreme winter storms bring snow, ice, sleet, as well as strong winds and frigid temperatures. This is nothing new to those who live in Rochester, NY. Winter comes quick and it’s time to prepare for a storm. To improve your safety in your home during a winter storm, you should make several preparations:
- Create an emergency kit. You will need a home kit that’s stocked for at least three days in case of a power outage. This includes necessary items such as water, non-perishable food, flashlights, blankets, and first-aid supplies.
- Insulate your home. Install storm windows and shutters, and insulate your attic and walls to keep the cold air out. Weather-stripping doors and cover windows with plastic from the inside for extra insulation.
- Shield your pipes to prevent them from freezing and bursting. If your home is left unattended, leave the heat on to a temperature of at least 55° F to prevent frozen pipes.
- Protect your heating equipment. Have your furnace, wood stove or fireplace inspected and cleaned every year to assure they are working properly.
- Know how to shut off utilities.Should you need to vacate your home due to flooding, you will need to shut off utilities. Learn how to shut off natural gas, electricity, and water supplies in your home.
Winter storms are ruthless, even with extreme preparation, there is still damage that is unpreventable. Remember to call SERVPRO of East Monroe County at (585) 641-0040 for all of your storm damage needs. As always, we are Here to Help.