East Rochester Fire Prevention Tips
Safeguarding against potential fire hazards will significantly reduce the likelihood of a fire affecting your home and family. Make fire prevention and safety a priority in your home.
- Install a smoke alarm on every level of your home and test it monthly.
- Prevent electrical fires by never overloading circuits or extension cords.
- Use appliances only as directed by the manufacturer. Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Keep portable heaters at least three feet away from anything combustible.
- Keep the fire in the fireplace. Use fire screens and have your chimney cleaned annually.
- Install an affordable home fire safety sprinkler system. In addition to keeping you safe, they can increase property value and lower insurance rates.
- Plan your escape. Practice your exit strategy from every room in the house.
- Take the time to educate your children about the dangers of fire.
How to Prepare for an East Rochester Flood
Flooding can be unpredictable here in East Rochester New York and leaves homeowners feeling like they have no control. Here is how to prepare for a flood:
- Check with Monroe County Floodplains Map to see if your home could be affected
- If you are within floodplain areas purchase flood insurance
- Have a battery operated radio with extra batteries to listen to the NOAA Weather Radio for updates
- Sand-bag doorways parallel to the direction of the flow and stagger the joints if multiple layers are needed
- Raise your furnace, electrical panel and water heater in your home to reduce potential damage
- Keep a first aid kit in your home
- Keep a three day supply of food and water (one gallon per person per day)
- Keep a seven day supply of all medical items and medication
- Take pictures of your home before and after any water damage
- Call SERVPRO of East Monroe County if there is any water damage to your home
Common Causes of House Fires in Fairport, New York
House fires can be devastating and the road to recovery is long and hard. Educating yourself on the leading causes for house fires and prevention is a step in the right direction to ensure that your family and home are safe.
Many electrical fires in homes or businesses are caused by faulty electrical outlets, old wiring, outdated appliances or electrical cords that are frayed.
-If you live in an older home have an electrician complete an inspection. Standards and codes are constantly being revised and updated to ensure safety.
-Do not overload your circuits.
-Understand the difference between surge protectors and power strips. Both devices allow you to plug in multiple electronics, but only the surge protector will help protect your electronics from a power surge.
The leading cause of kitchen fires is due to unattended cooking. It’s important to be alert to prevent cooking fires.
-Never leave pots or pans unattended on your stove.
-Keeping your stove an oven clean will prevent buildup of food splatter and grease that could later ignite when the stove or oven is turned on for cooking.
-Keep any items that could ignite away from your stove top
-Ensure that you have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen in case of emergency.
Over time, your dryer vent fills with lint that sneaks by your dryers filter. Fires can occur when the excess lint builds up in the dryer or exhaust duct.
-Clean out the dryer vent regularly.
-Clean the lint filter after EACH load of laundry that is dried.
-Clean underneath and behind your dryer to eliminate any lint that collects
Tips when Cooking with Oil
The number one cause of house fires is from cooking. The heat we use to cook our food can be dangerous when we are careless or leave a hot surface unattended. Cooking with oil is especially dangerous due to the volatility of hot oil. Below is a list of best practices for cooking with oil to make sure you and your home stay safe.
Never Leave a Hot Frying Pan Unattended.
A fire can quickly ignite and become uncontrollable within seconds. Leaving the kitchen for even a shot time can be disastrous for your home.
Smoking Oil is Dangerous.
If you are heating up oil and it begins to smoke, this is a warning sign. Immediately turn off the stovetop and wait at least 15 minutes for the surface to cool. If possible, safely move pan from burner and set on an unheated burner or other surface.
Keep a Lid Nearby.
If a fire does happen, place the lid over the pan to suppress the fire. Do not throw water onto the hot oil as the water will instantly boil and set off a burst of hot oil & water that can only spread the fire.
Cooking with oil is a quick way to make all of your favorite foods and recipes. Using caution, you can have a wonderful meal with no worries. Be sure to exercise safety when cooking at all times and hopefully you will never have to worry about cleaning up a fire in your home.
‘Tis the Season for Gratitude
Owner, Mike Necci, accepting an appreciation award from Brian with Penfield Fire Department.
Our team at SERVPRO of East Monroe County in East Rochester, New York recently received an unexpected expression of gratitude from a group of local first responders. Owner Mike Necci explains, “The Penfield Fire Department wanted to provide our team with breakfast. Little did I know that it would include an award! We were not expecting a plaque, but they awarded it to us to thank us for services we provided early on in the pandemic.” He continues, “We were simply following the lead of a number of other franchises around the country who were providing free disinfecting services to all first responder organizations and all military/veteran organizations. I was elated for our team to be recognized for their tireless efforts.”
We greatly appreciate the recognition from the Penfield Fire Department in Penfield New York. We can't thank First Responders enough for all they do for their communities!
We still, and always will, offer free disinfecting services to all First Responders. Please contact our office to schedule, (585) 641-0040
Why we Focus on Restoration instead of Replacement
If you have damage done to your home, it is a difficult thing to process and recover from. Dealing with the emotional impact of the actual emergency in addition to the recovery process can be a long and uphill battle, but the sooner you can get back into your home, the sooner you can begin to rebuild your life.
Though it can always be difficult to begin the recovery process, working with a good restoration company can make a tremendous difference. We will focus on restoring your home and belongings, instead of simply recommending a replacement, so you can save time and money and get back home more quickly. This can help you feel more at home when you return to your household, helping your family heal.
How Restoration Can Lead to Saving Time and Money
We can help you save money on your insurance. Thankfully, homeowners insurance will often cover major losses from emergencies or disasters, but an expensive claim can raise your premium as well. By restoring what we are able to instead of fully liquidating your home and belongings, we can keep the claim costs low, saving you money over time.
We can protect your sentimental items. When you have to quickly leave the home in the event of an emergency, there are likely many precious, irreplaceable items that are left behind. With our fleet of restoration equipment, however, we can restore many of these items to look exactly as they did before the damage. We have restored photographs, art, heirlooms and many other irreplaceable items over the years.
We make sure your home feels like home again. Going home after a disaster is quite an emotional experience, but by restoring your items when possible, we can ensure it truly feels like home when you walk in the door. From furniture to cosmetic touches, we can handle all the elements of restoration that make a difference in the way your home feels.
If you have damages and are feeling overwhelmed, we are here to help. You can call us as soon as you need to in order to begin the restoration process. Contact us today to learn more. (585) 641-0040
Hidden Water Damage in Pittsford?
Water damage hiding in Pittsford home?
My water bill was too high, so I knew I had a water leak. I tried to locate the source of the leak, but I couldn’t find it, so I called SERVPRO® of East Monroe County. The SERVPRO team arrived quickly and assessed and inspected the home looking for leaks. They used moisture detection and moisture measurement equipment to monitor the property’s moisture levels. Once they found an anomaly in the moisture content, they brought out an infrared camera to identify the location of the water through the wall. Sure enough, water had been leaking inside my wall and had caused water damage to the insulation and wood frame. Fortunately, the technicians were able to restore the water damage, and now my water bill is back to normal!
Moisture Detection and Measurement Equipment
- Infrared cameras may be used to identify the water location for thorough water removal
- Sensitive moisture detectors, hygrometers, and other meters measure the extent of moisture saturation
Call Us Today!
SERVPRO® of East Monroe County technicians are on call 24-hours a day to respond to residential and commercial water damage emergencies. Call us today at (585) 641-0040. We’ll locate and restore your hidden water damage in Pittsford, “Like it never even happened.”
Franchises are Independently Owned and Operated.
Turkey Fire in Fairport?
SERVPRO® of East Monroe County wishes everyone in Monroe County, Happy Holidays. We want everyone to be safe and fire-free this holiday season and offer these cooking safety tips from the National Fire Protection Association:
- Stay in the kitchen when you are cooking on the stovetop so you can keep an eye on the food
- Stay in the home when cooking your turkey and check on it frequently
- Keep children away from the stove. The stove will be hot, and kids should stay three feet away
- Make sure kids stay away from hot food and liquids. The steam or splash from vegetables, gravy, or coffee could cause serious burns
- Keep the floor clear so you don’t trip over kids, toys, pocketbooks, or bags
- Keep knives out of the reach of children
- Be sure electric cords from an electric knife, coffee maker, plate warmer, or mixer are not dangling off the counter within easy reach of a child.
- Keep matches and utility lighters out of the reach of children
- Never leave children alone in a room with a lit candle
- Make sure your smoke alarms are working
Call Us Today!
When your Fairport home or business has a fire damage emergency, SERVPRO® of East Monroe County has a team of highly trained technicians ready to assist you. Call us today at (585) 641-0040.
Franchises are Independently Owned and Operated.
What Makes SERVPRO a Trusted Name for Mold Remediation in Rochester?
SERVPRO's Experienced and Highly Trained Team Makes Mold Remediation in Rochester Fast and Efficient
It pays to hire professionals for mold remediation in your Rochester home, but it is crucial to pick the right service provider. Professional restorers like SERVPRO have a highly trained and experienced team of mold specialists who understand local homeowners' needs.
Before SERVPRO technicians begin the process of mold remediation of your Rochester home, they carry out a detailed inspection to identify any hidden colonies. They often look for signs of potential water damage that can create a conducive environment for the mold spores to germinate and grow. SERVPRO technicians might also take samples of the mold under the supervision of an indoor environmental professional (IEP) and send it out to be tested to identify any specific type of mold on your property.
Some of the Questions SERVPRO Mold Specialists Might Ask You During the Remediation Process of your Rochester Property
SERVPRO believes that communication with our clients is an important step in a successful mold remediation job in Rochester. We aim to work with you to get your mold problem sorted once and for all. Some of the questions that you might get from us might include-
- Are you aware of any additional mold growth in your home?
- Have you experienced problems such as attic mold or bathroom mold in the past?
- Have you had a water-related problem on the property in the past?
- How long has the mold problem persisted?
Your responses to these questions help us prepare a tailor-made plan for your home and achieve the fastest possible remediation.
Call SERVPRO of East Monroe County at (585) 641-0040, where help is available round the clock.
Why Choose SERVPRO of East Monroe County
Disasters can be catastrophic for homes and businesses. Whether caused by water, fire, or storms, they can turn your world upside down. Even the strongest of us can feel helpless, not knowing where to turn after a catastrophe. But fortunately for you, SERVPRO of East Monroe County ready to help you.
Why choose SERVPRO of East Monroe County when all the other companies make the same claims? Your property is probably the biggest investment that you will ever make, it is important to choose a company with the knowledge, equipment experience and reputation you can trust to return your property to its preloss condition or even better. We make your disaster "Like it never even happened."
Three of the Reasons to Use SERVPRO of East Monroe County
1. Training –We’re trained to IICRC’s high standards in fire and water cleanup and restoration, mold remediation, carpet and upholstery cleaning, and other cleaning and restoration courses. Our industry professionals regularly attend SERVPRO continuing education classes locally and at the corporate offices.
2. Equipment – Our equipment is up to the standards set by IICRC. We use moisture detection, measurement, water extraction, drying, odor removal and deodorization equipment. This equipment can completely clean and remove the effects of water, mold, soot, smoke, odor and more. The technological advancements have allowed SERVPRO of East Monroe County to restore property quickly back to its preloss condition.
3. Experience – SERVPRO has been in business for over 50 years. We have a team of over 1,700 franchises nationwide. The team at SERVPRO of East Monroe County provides years of restoration and insurance experience. This knowledge will only increase your experience with us!
When you need to call a disaster restoration company, call SERVPRO of East Monroe County (585) 641-0040!